Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Nov 20 11:14:51 UTC 2009

On 11/20/2009 11:58 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>> IMO, they are targetting MID devices, competing with Android, Smart phones
>> and similar.
>
> Not at the moment they're not/
Then please explain what they are targetting.

So far, all of Moblin I have seen was them trying to turn a multi-user
environment/desktop into a single-user, Smart-phone/Kiosk-like desktop.

>> That's a completely different audience as I am talking about: People using
>> netbooks, nettops and old i386s as inexpensive, "secondary" machine for
>> everyday, "low end" desktop usage, such as "browsing the web", "word
>> processing", "presentations", "photo browsing" etc.
>
> They are targeting Netbooks for the online type of device.

What is this? UTMS, WLAN, LAN, Bluetooth etc.?

How is this kind of device different from an "ordinary desktop" with
UTMS, WLAN, LAN, Bluetooth ...?

> They are
> targeted at web browsing, Social Networking, Media
> (Audio/Video/Photos) and Instant messaging running on small
> inexpensive netbook devices. They will do presentations and word
> processing quite happily as well as it based on gtk and clutter so all
> the usual gnome apps will run but that's not the main target.
In my understanding this is exactly the same target audience as all
other "desktop installations" address - So, why does it exist?

Getting rid of the "multi-user overhead", turning Linux into Windows?

Catering the the Telcos to address the TelCos' audiences? This would be
the Smartphone/Android etc. audience.

Ralf