PackageKit policy: background and plans

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 15:24:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 09:38:43AM -0500, Fulko Hew wrote:

>    I do!  And I tell everyone else too, so they learn/understand the
>    difference
>    between 'god' and a 'mere mortal user' (ie. root and anyone else).

Actually, thinking about it, even this isn't sufficient. An attacker
could change the ctrl+alt+F* bindings and use them to pop up a
full-screen window that looks like the console. So you'd also need to
set up securetty to ensure that root can only log in on real consoles.
I really don't see this being a security issue in the common single-user
case.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org