Improve the way rpm decides what is newer

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 01:19:28 UTC 2009

W dniu 21.11.2009 02:02, Christian Iseli pisze:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:36:28 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Including Vendor in comparisons is just FAIL. Packages often move
>> from Fedora to RPM Fusion as legal problems are found or from RPM
>> Fusion to Fedora as legal problems are cleared, there's no one vendor
>> which can have precedence.
>
> I don't follow your reasoning there.  In the config file you define:
> "Fedora Project" == "RPM Fusion"
> and the comparison, being equal, then proceeds to VendorRelease, which
> would be identical and then you end up in the same situation we are in
> now: the version-release in RPM Fusion needs to be higher than the one
> you removed from the Fedora repo.

-1
What you have now is a few (never had more than 10) packages from an
earlier branch of the distro. Most of the times they work fine, so this
is basically a non-issue.
Hacking around with release super-epoch and vendors is only going to
cause pain. Application upgrades are usually coded to cope with the
older config files format and migrate them to older ones, this obviously
won't work the other way round.
Seriously guys, is there nothing better to do than hunting around f(x-1)
packages?

Julian