Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 08:52:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 20:02 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> said:
> > 1. Needs GRUB hackery to support transparently. (For the DVD, Anaconda can
> > detect the architecture and install a kernel accordingly, but for a live CD,
> > we don't have any such support.)
>
> That would be SYSLINUX hackery, not GRUB hackery.  The CD and DVD images
> use ISOLINUX to boot.  SYSLINUX has a module interface; I don't know if
> it could handle a quick check for the "lm" CPU capability and choose a
> different menu file or not.

FWIW, there is a syslinux module named ifcpu64 that will load different
kernels/initrds based on whether the cpu is 64-bit.  I use it in
pxelinux at our school so our 64-bit Fedora image automatically gets
installed on the systems that can support it, while our 32-bit Fedora
image gets installed on the rest.

Jonathan