jack2

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 19:58:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 04:23:23PM -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Nowadays the jack project has two branches - old jack (1) branch with
> > version 0.116.2 and new one called jack2 version 1.9.3.
> > I'd like to gather opinions and suggestions about applying new version for F13.
> > Please, share your thoughts!
> > Thank you.
>
> It would be really good to have jack2. But I'm not sure if we can dump
> jack1 yet. Mut the upstream doesn't look like they will abandon jack1
> soon.
>
> My proposal is to use "alternatives" for parallel installation, the
> way java does. Then the user can switch between jack1 and jack2 as he
> wants.
>
> Is it okay with everyone if I write a specfile for jack2 that uses alternatives?

alternatives sounds like the wrong technology to use here.  If jack is being
invoked by the user for their session and different users can choose to use
jack or jack2 or pulseaudio or another sound server then you should be
looking at environment-modules instead:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/EnvironmentModules

-Toshio