Fedora 12 x86 DVD images

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 19:49:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 20:38 +0100, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> > The base arch of the family is i386, just like we call the ppc spin
> > "ppc" even though it only supports a subset of the ppc family, ditto
> > sparc, arm, etc...
>
> Then why the Live DVD and the Install DVD have different names? And
> why the same is true for the directory labels (i386/ for install DVD
> and i686/ for live DVD)? Can we at least have some consistency?
> Thanks!
>
> Andrea.

Yes, we may rename the Live images to i386.  When they were first
introduced, we had both an i586 and an i686 kernel in Fedora, and the
Live images were only usable on i686, they had no i586.  Now that we
don't have i586 anymore, we can change the live image name to i386.  It
was too late to do this for F12 at the time somebody suggested it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!