abrt + X Error => zillions of duplicate bug reports?

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 08:02:12 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 22:49:53 Matěj Cepl wrote:

> >> What's the technical limitation to coming close here?  It seems likely
> >> that there will be some edge cases, but I would think that the majority
> >> of cases aren't all that exceptional, and are fundamentally
> >> straightforward to work out.
>
> Don't ask me, I am just a humble bug triager (putting abrt developer on
> CC of this message). What I can say is that even though I can see abrt
> devs work hard to eliminate duplicates, they don't succeed much.
> Apparently eliminating duplicates of bugs from beasts like Firefox or
> OpenOffice is excessively hard.

Afaik, there are several projects with some crash/exception handling on top of
the stack. This makes it more difficult to find out where something actually
crashed. I think solution to this is more plugins/individual configurations.

Something like /etc/abrt/conf.d/<package_name>.conf

with <package_name>.conf content something like this (of course with better
format ;) :

refuseif()
{
  IF backtrace contains adobe flash THEN RefuseReporting("This crash is caused
by proprietary blob, we can't fix it. Try to contact adobe");
  ELSE IF ....

  return OK;
}

cropbacktrace()
{
  remove <packagename>'s crash handler from top of the backtrace
}

And abrt will call these methods if they are defined.

Just my 2 cents

Michal