Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 20:43:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 21:24 +0100, stefan riemens wrote:
> Not that i'm unhappy about the way things are going forward (my intel
> gfx are working great!), but gnome 3 isn't going to be much useful
> without 3d support...

3D driver for r600 is 35,000 lines just the chipset specific code,
Another 150,000 lines for the mesa core it uses.

Now the hard part with OpenGL or and 3D interface is its massive,
we probably need to write another few thousand lines of code to get
a decent r600 3D driver that can do GL2.0. Now gnome-shell use of GL
is a very known quantity same for compiz, we also have the g-s authors
on hand to tell us what is happening. So debugging g-s or compiz is
insanely easy compared to say blender or wine games.

We (Red Hat or Fedora) currently don't have access to any sort of
conformance suite for our GL though Intel and VMware have started at
least doing more and more regression test work lately so less and less
crap is making it way into the mainline and thus to users.

So hopefully things get better as we move forward and more companies
invest time in the 3D driver stack.

Dave.