PPC/PPC64 disabled in Koji for dist-f13

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Thu Oct 1 00:26:09 UTC 2009

On 09/30/2009 07:28 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 18:55 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Both ppc and ppc64 have been excellent at catching software bugs in my
>> projects that long went unnoticed on i386/x86-64.
>>
>> The lack of big endian builds by default is a notable loss, and will
>> lead to a decline in software quality.
>>
>> I think this is a net-negative for Fedora.
>>

> Builds will still be done on ppc32/ppc64 as part of the secondary arch
> effort.  Of course, there will still be an extremely small amount of
> people who test those builds and can help fix things.  Are you willing
> to be one of those people since you find value in it?  Helping to ensure
> ppc remains a successful secondary arch is the best thing you can do to
> help.

I would rather the problem be approached in a logical, scalable fashion:
by distributing the workload across the package maintainers who have
firsthand knowledge.  ie. how things worked before.

But you're dodging the larger point -- Fedora has, de facto, demoted big
endian support in its entirety to a second-hand effort, rather than
distributed the workload much more widely.  Given M package maintainers
and N secondary-platform volunteers, it is clear M > N by orders of
magnitude.

Given that ppc32 and ppc64 (or pick your BE platform) have demonstrated
an ability to detect problems not found on LE, it seems like this policy
change will directly lead to missed bugs, and an attendent decline in
software quality.

Was ppc really such a burden?

	Jeff