status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 08:46:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 23:40 +0200, Florian Festi wrote:
> On 09/30/2009 07:43 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> > Fedora's rpm used to have a
> > modified copy of zlib so that the created rpms were more rsync
> > friendly. As deltarpm needs to recreate the same compressed
> > payload I also had to support this.
> >
> Always nice to see how insanity leads to even more insanity. And nice to
> see that we can remove it now.

Not to be distrusting but I am also going to watch out and see how
easily we might break something, just for nazi-like mindset in enforcing
a policy.

Mind you, I am not against the policy itself, I think it is a good
policy, and I am not trying to ask for exceptions for rsync,.

But we also need to reasonable, and unless someone volunteers to do the
actual work *without* breaking the tool in the process, I think a policy
like this need to be evaluated case by case and not just blindly and
rigidly enforced.

Simo.