KDE-SIG weekly report (40/2009)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 07:34:33 UTC 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009 20:38:30 Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 30 September 2009 schrieb Jaroslav Reznik:
> > o future of Phonon
> > * Upstream (sandsmark) recommends building/packaging phonon from qt, and
> > building/packaging backends separately.
> > * Mandriva developments integrating pulseaudio support (and improving
> > gstreamer backend). [1]
> > * We will move back to building a standalone phonon SRPM.
> > * The vote for the default backend is split 3:3, needs the 7th vote from
> > svahl.
>
> Sorry for the delay. Was a bit busy and not at home.
>
> I tend to xine as default backend for several reasons:
> - It worked fine for me for several releases (and according to bugs for
>  other too)
> - It is recommend by upstream.
> - We won't get trouble with the amarok guys. :)
> - At least on one system I have no sound with gstreamer (maybe caused by
>  other issues, have to re-check that).
>
> So I'm a bit conservative here, but +1 for xine.

Hi Svahl,
thanks for your vote. So it's now 4:3 for Xine backend.

So what are the required steps now? As we already missed freeze but we can
work it out with rel engs.

I like idea of shipping both backends as proposed rdieter but set the Xine one
as default one. But first we should fix bug with switching backends...

Distant future: I'll try to look at GStreamer backend more deeply later as I
think it's the future - not only for Fedora but for upstream too and I hope we
can get it at least to the the point to be comparable with Xine one. Then we
can reconsider this decision.

> Sebastian

Jaroslav
--