Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS is about to happen

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 3 06:57:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 19:00:12 +0200,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> So really, I see no practical argument against switching back to the
> Alpha/Beta/Preview naming (and reintroducing the old Alpha – again, as
> useless as it was in practice, the psychological impact on developers
> shouldn't be underestimated).

The (old) alpha freeze is extra work for some people and may not be worth the
extra work as compared to say the nightly snapshots. I also find freezes
annoying in that my rawhide machines don't get some updates during the
freeze. If there are things I am interested in, I have to grab them manually.
If the no frozen rawhide becomes a reality for F13, then this latter complaint
will become moot.

I'd rather see more work spent on clearly documenting what developers need
to get done by when and how to determine if stricter guidelines apply
to your package(s), because it is a feature or an especially important
package.