Opinions on packaging ATLAS (for the x86 architecture)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 18:10:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 06:40:38PM +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:29:11 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote
>
> > Surely the way to do this is to know what your workload is doing,
> > and not do live migration to random hardware?
>
> Redetection of CPU features in a live system is complete madness.
> The virt-infrastructure has to make sure that the system migrated to
> has a superset of features of the machine migrated from.

Difficult, surely.  Madness, possibly.

I really meant from this thread that these are a list of things that
Linux distros should keep in mind.

If it's possible to build distro packages so that detection happens at
boot time, instead of installing hardware-specific packages, then
please try to use the boot-time method.

If it's possible to detect hardware availability when a program starts
up, rather than hard-coding it into the binary, please use that
method.

If it's possible to write programs and shared library loaders so that
redetection can be performed mid-execution, then prefer that method
over one which only detects hardware when the program starts up.

http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/what-things-make-p2vv2v-conversion-hard/

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html