How about releasing an update of xorg-x11-drv-intel for Fedora 11

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 8 12:51:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 10:54:54 +0100,
  Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
> Are you confident that F12 will make 3D usable under Linux on the majority of
> mainstream graphics cards ?

It's not going to provide 3d for nvidia, though it is hoped that nouveau will
be somewhat improved. Intel and all much of ATI (through at least r600 series)
is supposed to get working 3d with kernel mode setting.

> Due to the range of graphics hardware and the differences between them, I would
> have thought that a significant amount of user testing and bug
> fixing would need to be done to achieve this. I tried the F12 ATI
> graphics testing day and although a good idea the 3D tests were very
> limited and due to the amount of effort a user has to put in I guess
> limited in scope. Although people, myself included, feed back bugs
> upstream into the freedesktop GIT repository I would have thought
> that a larger audience was required ...

So you'd prefer to force F11 users to do testing whether they want to
or not?

> I would have thought that more people would be likely to try out the graphics
> updates if it is easy for them to install on their running systems
> and use in their normal usage patterns rather than have to maintain
> a separate test system
> just to test and feed back issues ...

It isn't going to be simple to do this. With the modesetting changes there
are a lot of interactions between parts and you need to change a number of
things (X, mesa, drm, kernel) at once to have a working system.