How about releasing an update of xorg-x11-drv-intel for Fedora 11

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 9 03:56:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 09:19 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 09:37 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Then please feel free to make one. :) I don't mean that in a snide
> > fashion, but it really is the answer. As noted, having our X.org
> > developers spend time on such a repository directly subtracts that
> > amount of time from the time they would otherwise spend actually
> > developing the drivers (our X.org maintainers are also major upstream
> > developers) and fixing reported bugs.
>
> I thought about doing something like this the other day, but really
> if we had something like Ubuntu PPA, which I think is on the longterm
> plans for Fedora then it would be a lot easier to do.
>
> At the moment its just too distracting to do.
>
> The thing with doing updates for F11 is the regression rate due to
> lack of QA, I put Mesa packages into updates-testing that fixed a
> lot of r300/r500 bugs back at the start of F11 and it went into
> testing a few weeks later and broke Intel, I got 0 reports during that
> u-t phase about breakage. So now I have a package in stable that
> lets 3D works for x num of people and breaks compiz for y number.

 The problem is that PPAs/KoPeRs are going to get much less testing than
stuff in updates-testing, so if you don't think you are getting enough
testing in updates-testing I really don't see how KoPeRs will solve that
problem.

 Personally I'd suggest pushing to updates-testing but wait a _long_
time (maybe even never) before pushing to stable.
 Of course you are kind of screwed in having a package which might work
fine on one machine, but fail on many others.

> I think for F12 updates we could really do with some sort of side repo
> setup, so we could have a stability period where QA could happen on
> packages that may end up in updates a month or two later.

 How would this be different from updates-testing? If you install
yum-plugin-aliases it even has predefined aliases lsuT and upT to get
the list of updates from testing, and update to them. bodhi has support
for it etc.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora