thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 11 08:54:53 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 02:11 PM, Dodji Seketeli wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 01:03:01AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Wrong list and a week late[1]. No need to continue the old discussion here.
>>
>> [1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-October/msg00110.html
>
> I don't think so. Not willing to put words in Jeff's mouth, but I don't
> think he was discussing the UI changes of Thunderbird. I took it as he was rather
> discussing the upgrade process within Fedora.

It is a bit of both really. A single update causes the folders to move
around because "smart folders" was suddenly enabled and that UI change
is very disruptive. It took some time to figure out what the heck was
happening.

The second problem was that thunderbird started indexing all my mails
all of a sudden and again, that is a dirsuption because it essentially
makes the mail client unusable for quite sometime.

It was ok to ship a "beta" release of thunderbird but updates shouldn't
cause such issues. If the fixes were necessary to push as updates then
it would have prudent to disable "smart folders" and "indexing" by
default and leave it enabled in Fedora 12.

Rahul