thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 11 16:46:27 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 10:03 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> I do use TB (read my email headers). I fully understood that TB 3.0 was
> in beta and could drastically change at any moment. I keep track of
> their development as well so I was prepared for the changes that have
> happened. If you expect beta software to act like stable software then
> you need to update your dictionary.

Oh please. Expecting all Fedora thunderbird users to keep track of
upstream development of software included in Fedora is totally
ridiculous. The package maintainer made the judgement to include a beta
release of thunderbird. If major UI or other behaviour changes were
expected to follow in later revisions, it would have been wise to not
include the beta release in the first place. Otherwise, it would have
been easy enough to disable those couple of features we are talking
about in the update and avoid the hassle for users.

It is NOT ok if I update my mail client in any stable release of Fedora
and get a different UI where my folders are rearranged and my mail
client proceeds to index gigabytes of my mail sucking up the CPU and
generally making it unusable for quite sometime. A new release with a
new UI and behaviour is ok. An update changing it like this is
definitely not.

Rahul