thunderbird rel-eng

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 15:48:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 11:10 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On 10/14/2009 10:31 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 09:27 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> >>
> >> The problem isn't GLODA and smart folders, it's that we have no process in
> >> place to identify and deal with problems like this before it's too late.
> >
> > Aside from updates-testing you mean, where people can test potential
> > updates and give feedback as to how they work on their systems?
>
> Do you honestly believe this was a testing problem?
>
> Long after F11 release, we had an update billed as a "bug fix" that included
>
> 1) a major UI change.
>
> 2) additional home directory disk space requirement, several GIGABYTES
> in size.  A non-trivial, on-going CPU usage requirement, as well.
>
> 3) global indexing which lumps together, in a single file, distinctly
> separate email accounts.  This potentially creates a LEGAL PROBLEM for
> end users.
>
> These changes in the middle of a stable Fedora release are outside the
> bounds of normal, expected bug fixes.  That is simply not up to Fedora
> standards by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> The above are major problems that should be caught by a release
> engineering process... the maintainer if nobody else.
>
> 	Jeff

updates-testing /is/ the release engineering process.  There is simply
too many packages for the one of me to manage.  That none of the testers
thought anything was wrong with this update is the "testing problem".
That the maintainer stuck it with a 3 karma limit is another problem.
That the maintainer thought it was OK to majorly change UI in the middle
of a release is a third problem.  There is no one entity at fault here,
and there is no magic bullet to fix it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!