Updates-testing (was: Re: thunderbird upgrade - wtf?)

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 14 16:57:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Jud Craft wrote:

> What about using LVM to store a pre-update snapshot of your distro?
>
> (Separate root partition from /home and other stuff, of course.  Roll
> back root).
>
> Highly inconvenient, but it would theoretically work...

It doesn't really help you when your data is modified by the update.
example:

installed: foo-1.0
data format: user:group:data:index:key
update: foo-1.2
data is migrated forward from the old format to the new one, new format is
stored in the same file but is:
user:group,group,group,group:data:data:data:index

(obviously I'm just making up the data format :)

how do you roll back and not lose access to the data in that file?

-sv