thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 22:00:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:00:07AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > > Fat lot of good it's doing.
> > >
> > > 	-Mike
> > >

> > And that's a people problem more than a process problem.  If nobody
> > tests it in updates-testing, then how is the maintainer to know that it
> > is problematic?  Certainly not solvable with even more repos for testing
> > content...
> >

> You let me know how three people in Fedora can miss a very subtle Firefox
> memory leak.  How many people would need to use updates testing before the
> thunderbird indexing problem is caught?  How long would it need to stay
> there?  In this case updates-testing theory just does not match reality.
>
> The status quo is broken, doing nothing will keep it that way.

I think there are many things we can do within Bodhi & Fedora Community
to better facilitate testing updates.  For example, I think we should do
a better job of emphasizing the importance of certain updates in the
queue, especially security updates with little or no karma.

The karma system that I implemented in bodhi hasn't really changed much
over the years, and I think it's probably time to reassess some of the
default options (eg: +3 for marking as stable is probably way too low
for packages like the kernel and thunderbird).

Since there are actually a lot of people who provide feedback in bodhi
(presently 1448 different people have left comments in bodhi since F10),
we obviously are not doing a good enough job of leveraging them.

One way to improve our testing strategy would be to keep adding and
improving the test cases to the wiki:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Test_Cases

We could then point people directly to the appropriate steps for testing
the application, from within bodhi, fedora community, etc...

luke