Status of geronimo

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Oct 16 08:37:31 UTC 2009

Le Ven 16 octobre 2009 07:18, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :

> On 10/16/2009 05:14 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> Can someone shed light on the status of geronimo in Fedora?  Seems like
>>> it hasn't managed to build since F11 - and the F11 build was never
>>> pushed.  There is a geronimo-spec 1.2 in CVS that doesn't compile
>>> (missing dependencies among other things).  Apache's site has version
>>> 2.1.4.
>>
>> I suspect (and the timeline seems to match up) that RH simply stopped caring
>> the day they acquired JBoss.
>
> Red Hat had customers using it long after they acquired JBoss.
> Regardless of Red Hat's interests, it doesn't stop anyone else
> interested to step in.

The Geronimo community failed to get involved when Red Hat was here to help
them, I doubt they'll do it now (would be delighted to be proved wrong). In a
few years they'll probably regret it as a major missed opportunity. History
repeats itself there: xen vs kvm, netbeans vs eclipse, geronimo vs jboss... if
you don't jump in the boat while people are ready to help you, they'll find
another partner and you'll be marginalized.

All too often projects think "I'm the only realistic choice, I don't need to
bother, people will have to take me anyway". But with FLOSS, people are free
to vote with their feet (and they do).

--
Nicolas Mailhot