Updates-testing

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 17 14:45:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 14:16:13 +0200,
  Ralf Ertzinger <fedora at camperquake.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:17:13 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote
>
> > Yes, but you should make the dump with the dump utility of the new
> > release to which you want to update.
>
> So version x.y+1 is unable to read a dump created by version x.y?

They can read them, but sometimes there are new features and you can take
advantage of them better during the dump. So that when you do the load into the
new version, it will end up getting done better. I don't have a for sure
example off hand, but I seem to remember that this was a good idea when
schemas got added. Another possibility was that at some point dependency
handling during dumps was improved (probably more than once) and that these
additions were not backported to every version someone might have been using.
Doing the dump with the later version might have saved you some hand tweaking
of the table definitions (particularly when tables referenced each other)
at some upgrade points.