Status of touchpad support in F12 for kdm?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 19:14:59 UTC 2009

Matěj Cepl <mcepl <at> redhat.com> writes:

> I have no experience with KDE, but in Gnome I have it set in the Gnome
> configuration (not sure whether it works in gdm). Otherwise /etc/hal/fdi
> file is your safest bet.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration has some more
> information about this.
>
> Matěj

Thanks - yes in Gnome F11 it is settable in System->Preferences->Mouse and then
select the touchpad tab - I have not tried in gdm recently but I have set a file
as /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-synaptics.fdi which was made by adding the lines:
  <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
  <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">3</merge>
  <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">2</merge>
  <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">1</merge>

to the contents of /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi and
then copying to the location /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-synaptics.fdi

After rebooting then the touchpad works in kdm - maybe this will fix gdm too?

I suppose at least this does work even if upstream policy is not to make this
available - however for a newbie just installing F11 and wanting this available
it is not obvious from install notes or release notes as far as I remember?