Eternal 'good file hashes' list

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Tue Oct 20 10:00:32 UTC 2009

Hi.

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:20:17 +0200, Tomas Mraz wrote:

> What would this be good for?

To expand on the motivation for this:

The idea is to have a list of known good file hashes to test your local
files against, if you have reason not to trust your local RPM database
(which may have been compromised as well). The way I'd do that right now
would involve getting the corrensponding RPM files from a mirror (hoping
there still is a mirror for that) and then... well, then it gets a bit
fuzzy as I don't know how to check the checksum of a file against the
metadata in a RPM file but I'm sure it can be done somehow.

So I thought that there may be an easier way to do this, so I'm asking,
in a first step, for an estimate of the data size we're talking about,
as I have no idea how much metadata each file in an RPM takes up, how
many RPMs/files koji builds each day on average and so on.