Rationale behind _cmake_skip_rpath choice in /etc/rpm/macros.cmake

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 21 06:58:41 UTC 2009

Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
> According to http://www.itk.org/Wiki/CMake_RPATH_handling this is now
> corrected since almost two years (december 2007).

We tried it in a 2.6.x, which is more recent than that, and it didn't work.
(We ended up with things like /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 being set as an rpath,
which is against Fedora guidelines.)

> The %_cmake_skip_rpath -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=ON is a change dating in
> last january. I cannot explain it as it was already cmake-2.6 as far as I
> can tell.

That's because we had the issue with 2.6.

> Actually, cmake re-links libraries without rpath at installation time
> (according to the previous page).

That information is outdated. 2.4 relinked the binaries, 2.6 uses some
direct ELF editing hack to edit the rpath out instead (it's faster).

> The .shell wrappers are a KDE specificity. This is not standard cmake
> stuff.

That's interesting. I thought these come from CMake itself.

        Kevin Kofler