Unresponsive maintainer for system-config-cluster

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 13:21:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 14:13 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 01:57:14PM +0100, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 14:40 +0200, Milos Jakubicek wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > +1 from here...I already e-mailed Jim Parson a long long time (for sure
> > > more than a year) ago because of some trivial outstanding bugs in that
> > > package (missing requires, incorrect pam configuration, ...), some of
> > > them I fixed then, some are still left. I tried several times and didn't
> > > get any response.
> > >
> > I've actually found a few more since I wrote that list in the bz too.

> > > Hm...I would appreciate keeping the package (...and could fix the very
> > > trivial of the remaining bugreports), how complicated would it be to fix
> > > the GFS2 configs? On the other hand, I've heard from somebody of the RH
> > > cluster team that the package is deprecated at all, how's that?
> >
> > Well if someone wants to maintain it, then I suppose there is no issue.
> > My understanding is that Conga is the preferred method for graphical
> > configuration of clusters. Personally I use vi for cluster
> > configuration :-)
>
> I don't think its really viable to suggest that Conga is a replacement
> for system-config-cluster. One is a simple desktop UI for editing
> cluster config files. The other is a large web based management
> infrastructure. Certainly alot of people may want to use Conga, but
> I can well imagine people using s-c-c , wouldn't want to deploy a
> webapp just to get a tool to edit cluster config files
>
> Daniel

I'm willing to accept that argument, and indeed just the same discussion
is currently going on, on one of our internal lists too. The issue is
who will do the work to get s-c-c back working again? Conga is actively
maintained, and s-c-c is not at the moment. Every time I've asked people
about it (and about fixing bugs) I've been told that its obsolete and
will not be fixed.

I figured it was better to remove it than to leave it broken and thus
confuse people. If by sending this request I've started a discussion
which ends with a new maintainer being selected and the bugs being
fixed, then thats just as good a result I think :-)

So I'll certainly not send any remove requests until the current
discussion has concluded, but in the mean time my request for the
transfer or maintainership still stands,

Steve.