Fwd: Request to update ATi OSS driver for Fedora 12

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 21:27:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 15:16 +0800, Liang Suilong wrote:
> Today I upgrade my Fedora to Fedora 12 Beta, It looks very well. But I
> found ATi display driver does not run well.
>

> My display card is Sapphire HD3650 with 256MB GDDR3 VRAM (RV635). I
> choose OSS driver for my card. Glxgears runs so smoothly with
> xorg-x11-drv-ati because of KMS by default, nevertheless, rolling up
> and down in the gnome-terminal is quite slow. The performance of
> glxgears is about 210 frams per second. In addition, Switching to
> another window in Fedora 12 Beta is not as fast in Fedora 11. Later, I
> install xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd and set it by default in the
> system-config-display. Then I restart the X. I can not log into gnome.
> The screen turns white. I found xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd is too old, The
> version is 1.2.5 in the rawhide and the latest version 1.3.0 has been
> released for a long time. Now I turn back to xorg-x11-drv-ati. At
> last, I do not know which packages causes the  problem, maybe
> xorg-x11-drv-ati, maybe xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd, maybe Mesa. So I
> suggest that packager updates some packge related to ATi R600/R700
> display card.

Fedora doesn't really care about the radeonhd driver. We may well even
remove it at some point soon. The ati driver is the one you should use
on Fedora, that's why it's the default.

You do not get 3D acceleration out of the box on that card, r600 3D
acceleration is too early to be enabled by default. If you want to try
it out, install the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package.

For the slow 2D performance - _how_ slow is it, really? gnome-terminal
has never been much of a speed demon. Does it get any faster if you boot
with 'nomodeset' as a kernel parameter?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey