Fedora with Universal Binaries?

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 17:38:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 12:28 -0500, King InuYasha wrote:

> http://icculus.org/fatelf/
>

> There is even a proof of concept VM of Ubuntu 9.04 that has both
> 32-bit and 64-bit kernels and all the apps compiled as FatELF binaries

Except, they're not really ELF binaries. ELF doesn't allow you to do
both at the same time in the headers, so this adds a new header and is
essentially an encapsulation for other ELF files. Thus, a kernel patch
is required and it would be some time before all kernels supported it.
I'm not against the notion of this...but I think some of the usual
suspects need to get involved in standardizing such an ELF hack.

(You might be able to do something with binfmt_misc as a hack)

Jon.