What to do with package that wants to use sse?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 31 05:51:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 21:29:24 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> You should always adjust any build process which wants to use custom
> compiler flags to use the standard Fedora flags. Well-written build
> systems allow you to set compiler flags trivially with a parameter or
> environment variable. Badly-written ones hard-code their preferred flags
> and require you to patch before you can pass in the Fedora flags. In the
> latter case, patch the build system and send the patch upstream.

The way they have this setup with cmake is such that it seems to add
-msse on to the Fedora defaults. I think they are going to want that
to be the normal case when building for linux. Under those circumstances,
am I supposed to ask them to put in a test for Fedora in the cmake
build file or is there some standard way of adding -msse when options
aren't specified from rpm, but it is added when they are not?
I am not sure what I am supposed to recommend to upstream other than perhaps
something they aren't likely to do.

Changing the cmake specs in the spec file won't be hard.