PPC/PPC64 disabled in Koji for dist-f13

Michel Alexandre Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:57:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:

>> I know that last week several ppc people (IBM, etc) expressed alarm and
>> concern about the demotion of ppc to a secondary arch. Most of those people
>> I pointed at Bill and Jesse who were staffing the fedora booth.
>>
>> Did we get any positive feedback/offers of help from them?
>>
>> Ric
>>

> No. They heard that here would be a secondary arch effort and seemed to
> think "oh, they will fix it for us". Seems to be the running theme. People
> want ppc to stick around but nobody wants to work on it. That's why
> secondary arch seems right. People who care can work on it but lack of care
> won't hold Fedora back. Keep in mind that many upstreams (most?) don't have
> access or care about ppc. In the nonserver world ppc is dead.

That is sadly true, even of Apple (PPC support is dropped from Snow
Leopard, and their LLVM framework is more buggy on PPC -- fastcall
does not work, etc.

A lot of maintainers probably do care that their software does not
have broken assumptions about endianness, so it would be nice that,
for a given package N-V-R, we can see both the primary and secondary
Kojis' build results.

Regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim