Orphaning some packages [Was: Re: Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS is about to happen]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 16:18:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 15:26 +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:

> I am misunderstanding them (in case your interpretation is more correct).
> So that's just that rel-eng doesn't have enough work to do (otherwise,
> why they do not control only critical path components?).

Releng and QA are very small groups.  The Fedora package set is
extremely large.  Over 8K packages.  The rate of change is far too grate
to provide second guessing over every package.  So releng/qa decided to
draw a line around the packages that are critical to everybody, and
those that are critical to select few.  For the packages that are
critical to everybdoy, releng/qa will promise to take a second look at
them before allowing them to break freeze.  This is to prevent things
like the dbus fiasco last release (sorry to keep picking on dbus).  We
just simply cannot do that for the rest of the package set.  Also, the
most important thing in a Fedora release is that it installs, it boots,
and the user can get online and get updates after that.  Anything
outside of that is less critical and can be fixed by updates, so when
gearing up for a release, that is where our efforts will be focused on
for testing.

Is this any clearer now?

--
Jesse Keating