dracut, or should booting a LiveCD touch the hard disk?

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:06:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:37 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> So I took a look and saw Plymouth with something that
> looks like password dialog. He was really surprised that it's asking for
> password. At first - really, I think it's dracut bug as I think it was password
> for encrypted device he uses on demand (I can ask him). But you can imagine -
> he's very experienced user and still he failed.
Right, showing an unexpected password dialog at boot with no prompt is
a serious bug.  It's the bug in dracut I think we need to fix.

If he had asked for his root partition to be encrypted he would have
expected that's the password he needed to enter before his computer
booted, so there would have been no problem.

It's only when it's something the user doesn't expect, or when there
is the possibility of multiple questions that it's a problem.

--Ray