dracut, or should booting a LiveCD touch the hard disk?

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 23:00:43 UTC 2009

Hi,
> What if / is encrypted, and /usr is a different volume encrypted with a different password? We can't leave initrd yet because everything in / that we actually _need_ isn't available.
>
> Sysadmins on crack break everything...

True, if you

1) have encrypted /
2) have a separate /usr
3) have that /usr encrypted with a *different* password than /
4) are using a graphical splash instead of the verbose details one

Then you have to know to enter your /usr password after your /
password, because we don't have anyway to tell you.

--Ray