Retiring ksensors, possibly id3lib as well?

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 20:03:09 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 03:25 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

>> id3lib also needs to be looked at, as it's upstream has been defunct
>> since March 2 2003.
>>
>> This one might hurt more than ksensors will, since several programs
>> depend on id3lib.
>>
>> This is a list of the programs that require id3lib:
>> audio-convert-mod
>> easytag
>> tagtool
>> id3lib-devel
>> id3v2
>> gmediaserver
>> liblicense-modules
>> kid3
>> grip
>>
>> The list is alot shorter than I thought it would be, but it's still
>> enough to cause problems.
>>
>> Is there anyone willing to take up upstream development of id3lib?
>> Is there a possible (more active) replacement for id3lib?
>> Is there a valid reason for continuing to carry such a defunct
>> package in Fedora?
>
> s/defunct/old/ - and yes there is a valid reason - 8 or so at least,
> see your list of packages above ;)

Heh... sure, but surely such software could be made to work with a piece
of code that's more recent
than id3lib?

>> I'm more than happy to continue maintaining id3lib if there is a
>> valid reason to do so,
>> but my reasons are more sentimental than valid logical reasoning.
>>
>> So I turn to you to answer that question:
>> Is there valid, logical, reasoning to continue to support such old code?
>
> Yes, because other useful packages depend on it IMHO.
>
> I'll take it if you don't want to keep it, I think that library needs
> to live on in Fedora.

I'm happy to maintain it... though I could definitely use a coder as a
co-maintainer, or,
really, anyone who wishes to help.

The problem I have with continuing such code, is both the lack of an
upstream...
and the potential for security risks as this piece of code is left to rot.

I have neither the skills, nor the time to take over upstream, and
software cannot
last/stay compatible forever.

> -Eric

Lyos Gemini Norezel