Retiring ksensors, possibly id3lib as well?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 20:39:13 UTC 2009

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> On 10/07/2009 03:25 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

>>> Is there a valid reason for continuing to carry such a defunct
>>> package in Fedora?
>>
>> s/defunct/old/ - and yes there is a valid reason - 8 or so at least,
>> see your list of packages above ;)
>
> Heh... sure, but surely such software could be made to work with a piece
> of code that's more recent
> than id3lib?

Is there a more recent id3 library?  I dunno.  If there is, and all the
packages you mentioned can find/use it, then sure....

>>> I'm more than happy to continue maintaining id3lib if there is a
>>> valid reason to do so,
>>> but my reasons are more sentimental than valid logical reasoning.
>>>
>>> So I turn to you to answer that question:
>>> Is there valid, logical, reasoning to continue to support such old code?
>>
>> Yes, because other useful packages depend on it IMHO.
>>
>> I'll take it if you don't want to keep it, I think that library needs
>> to live on in Fedora.
>>

> I'm happy to maintain it... though I could definitely use a coder as a
> co-maintainer, or,
> really, anyone who wishes to help.
>
> The problem I have with continuing such code, is both the lack of an
> upstream...
> and the potential for security risks as this piece of code is left to rot.
>
> I have neither the skills, nor the time to take over upstream, and
> software cannot
> last/stay compatible forever.

I'd say that if/when problems crop up you could revisit it.  Maybe the
reason it's been idle for so long is that it's simple/done/perfect and
could just stay that way.  :)

If you have any need for a comaintainer I'd be glad to though in any case.

-Eric