How about releasing an update of xorg-x11-drv-intel for Fedora 11

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Oct 8 09:54:54 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 03:44 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:15:06PM +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> A new release of drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati/Xserver code for F11 based on the
>> new 1.7 XServer and 7.6 mesa would be very useful.
>
> No, not really.
>
>> I understand that changing the Graphics system could break many
>> users systems, so maybe a build of all the necessary packages could be put
>> into the testing repository or perhaps a special graphics-testing repository
>> could be added. This would help get the graphics issues fixed prior to
>> F12's release ...
>
> Actually, installing rawhide or the F-12 Beta (or using a livecd) would help
> get the graphics issues fixed prior to F-12 release.  That is going to help
> much more than wasting the developer's time trying to backport everything to
> F-11, pushing it to updates-testing, and dealing with all the fallout.
>
>> It would be good to have a Linux system that could actually to 3D with the
>> major applications by the end of 2009 !
>
> Fortunately, F-12 is scheduled for release by then!
>
> josh

Are you confident that F12 will make 3D usable under Linux on the majority of
mainstream graphics cards ?

Due to the range of graphics hardware and the differences between them, I would
have thought that a significant amount of user testing and bug fixing would need
to be done to achieve this. I tried the F12 ATI graphics testing day and
although a good idea the 3D tests were very limited and due to the amount of
effort a user has to put in I guess limited in scope. Although people, myself
included, feed back bugs upstream into the freedesktop GIT repository I would
have thought that a larger audience was required ...

I would have thought that more people would be likely to try out the graphics
updates if it is easy for them to install on their running systems and use in
their normal usage patterns rather than have to maintain a separate test system
just to test and feed back issues ...

It seems that the Fedora short release lifetime makes this sort of testing/bug
fixing for X11 refinement harder.

Anyway I guess this is obviously a trade off between user/testers and developers
time :)