How about releasing an update of xorg-x11-drv-intel for Fedora 11

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Oct 8 18:33:01 UTC 2009

On 10/08/2009 05:37 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 14:05 +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> No, I don't what to force testing on anyone (although F11 has done
>> that
>> already :) )
>> I was just suggesting that a separate yum archive with the packages
>> necessary
>> to test the later graphics development code that will be in F12 could
>> be
>> made available for people to try out easily with their F11 systems.
>> They can optionally try these. I think it will allow 3D to work for
>> many people
>> (from my experience of the latest GIT versions) although others would
>> not be so
>> lucky. They can easily back these changes out if they have more issues
>> than
>> the standard graphics system.
>
> Then please feel free to make one. :) I don't mean that in a snide
> fashion, but it really is the answer. As noted, having our X.org
> developers spend time on such a repository directly subtracts that
> amount of time from the time they would otherwise spend actually
> developing the drivers (our X.org maintainers are also major upstream
> developers) and fixing reported bugs.
>
> Given that there is a lot of development work to do on these drivers
> (which is why you find the newer versions better...) and a lot of bugs
> to fix (we generally barely keep up with the rate of bugs filed as it
> is), we don't see that as a good trade-off. You'd get backported drivers
> for stable releases, but the rate of development of the actual upstream
> drivers would be noticeably slowed, and fewer reported bugs would
> ultimately get fixed.
>
> Backporting packages is not intrinsically very difficult, though it is
> somewhat time-consuming, so it's something for which a far greater
> candidate pool exists than X driver development. Thus, the suggestion
> that someone else do it. For instance, you. It seems you've already
> successfully built the latest versions of things locally; if you can do
> that, you can put them in a package and put the package in a repository,
> it's not a very hard process and it's all documented on the Wiki.

I was thinking of doing that, I have done this sort of thing before, until
the drivers/drm/mesa needed changes in the XServer which is dependent on a
lot of things. I would then be fighting a battle with the main updates
repositories for evermore, well until F12 which will then bring in its own
set of problems....