thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Dodji Seketeli dodji at redhat.com
Sun Oct 11 10:08:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:29:19AM +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> There is a difference between stable and static, if we have a beta of
> thunderbird in F11, then it expected to change between beta releases.

Sure. But at the same time the word "stable" in the expression
"stable version" ought to mean something, I guess.

My point is this is a matter of personal judgement. If the change is
going to be "too" disruptive (and that's a maintainer call)
then maybe having a "Fedora-blessed" repository like this great one
http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/11/remi/x86_64/repoview
could be a possible way to go. At the same time, the package could be
updated straight to Rawhide, of course.

> The new search features are very cool, we should be happy someone uses
> the time to give us all this cool new features.

I was not discussing that. Those changes are cool. I agree. But we also have
to take in account the drawbacks that come with that coolness and strike
a balance so that stable distro users aren't too disrupted in
their workflows.

--
Dodji Seketeli
Red Hat