thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sun Oct 11 16:33:03 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 11:19 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Whether to include a beta or not should be decided on a case by case
> basis. It is a good idea to avoid those but if there are substantial
> benefits, it is fine. The focal point of the discussion isn't what it
> originally include but how the software changes in updates. Do you use
> thunderbird as your main mail client? If so, did you find the changes in
> the update not disruptive for you?

I do use TB (read my email headers). I fully understood that TB 3.0 was
in beta and could drastically change at any moment. I keep track of
their development as well so I was prepared for the changes that have
happened. If you expect beta software to act like stable software then
you need to update your dictionary.

> We aren't talking about upstream development however.  It is the
> responsibility of the thunderbird package maintainers in Fedora to avoid
> updates that prevents the mail client from being usable for a
> substantial amount of time and changes the UI in a unexplained way. The
> modifications required to avoid those would have been rather simple.

The TB 3.0 updates have been sitting in updates-testing for at least a
week or so before they are released into updates. The karma being
received has been overwhelmingly *positive* so it's one or two
conservative folks that really dislike change that voice their opinions
and get some attention for the sake of attention.