thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 14 00:27:04 UTC 2009

On 10/14/2009 01:44 AM, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram writes:
>
>> The general attitude in this thread (not you) and elsewhere that it was
>> ok to cause problems was worrying me. Thanks for looking into this problem.
>>
>> Rahul
>
> I am not sure that there is evidence for that!

Evidence for what? The people who are complaining about this problem are
doing so because it is a real problem.

I think that some people were
> justifyably concerned that a package was released that had a major change to
> settings and user experience, and caused some serious difficulties including
> problems that gave large CPU and disk loads for a considerable and unjustifiable
> periods - (me included) until the workarounds were known, but that once this
> package was released and the knowledge and guidance on how to resolve the main
> problems was known then reversing the release was not really an option.

Why not? The maintainer says it is a option and it is definitely
feasible to release a update that disables these couple of features by
default rather than make everybody go through the same problems. I don't
understand your view point at all.  Changelog or even testing notes is
useful to guide testers into checking for problems but once the problems
are evident, we should just address them directly. Only a tiny fraction
of our users will read such notes and it is not reasonable to expect
them to continue to suffer.

Rahul