thunderbird rel-eng

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Wed Oct 14 15:10:19 UTC 2009

On 10/14/2009 10:31 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 09:27 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>
>> The problem isn't GLODA and smart folders, it's that we have no process in
>> place to identify and deal with problems like this before it's too late.
>
> Aside from updates-testing you mean, where people can test potential
> updates and give feedback as to how they work on their systems?

Do you honestly believe this was a testing problem?

Long after F11 release, we had an update billed as a "bug fix" that included

1) a major UI change.

2) additional home directory disk space requirement, several GIGABYTES
in size.  A non-trivial, on-going CPU usage requirement, as well.

3) global indexing which lumps together, in a single file, distinctly
separate email accounts.  This potentially creates a LEGAL PROBLEM for
end users.

These changes in the middle of a stable Fedora release are outside the
bounds of normal, expected bug fixes.  That is simply not up to Fedora
standards by any stretch of the imagination.

The above are major problems that should be caught by a release
engineering process... the maintainer if nobody else.

	Jeff