thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 23:33:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 06:53:22PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Luke Macken wrote:
>
>> I think there are many things we can do within Bodhi & Fedora Community
>> to better facilitate testing updates.  For example, I think we should do
>> a better job of emphasizing the importance of certain updates in the
>> queue, especially security updates with little or no karma.
>>

> Before we go working on the karma system - is it doable to add some
> fields so we can denote critical path pkgs?
>
> If I know there is a place for the data, I can get you quick code to
> produce the list given any set of pkgs as soon as tomorrow. Hell, It is
> already written, iirc.
>
> It seems like critpath is more important in bodhi than karma, to me.

Yeah, I agree critpath is more important at the moment.

So we have a few options for where to throw this data.

 - We could add a new field to the bodhi Package SQLObject model
   This will entail DB schema changes.  I've never altered bodhi's
   model below our DB before, but I think we could maybe just run an
   ALTER TABLE, and be all set.  I'll have to test this first.  bodhi
   v2.0 will use SQLAlchemy, so we'll have much better schema migration
   tools to use.

 - The quick and dirty solution would be to generate the critpath list
   and stuff it in bodhi's config file (like we do with packages that
   require a reboot).  Or, if it's quick to generate,
   we could do it on startup.  I'm not sure how large the list is so
   we'll have to see.

 - We could also have a flag in the pkgdb for critpath packages, which
   would be simple to query.  It feels like the pkgdb should know about
   critpath packages.

There are probably some other ways too, but once I see the code to
generate I'm sure I can figure out how to get bodhi to use it.

luke