problem with dns

Giovanni Tirloni tirloni at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 00:20:14 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> This is a problem that touches some of Fedora services.
>
> I've got a network
>
> 192.168.101.0
>
> 192.168.101.1 - this is my router
> 192.168.101.200 - ozzy - my F11 server
> 192.168.101.100 - dio - my Windows 6 workstation
>
> I use two DNS servers
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> nameserver 194.204.159.1
>
> The problem shows up when my network 192.168.101.0 lose a connection
> with 192.168.1.0 and my primary DNS server is not available.

[...]

> Every time when I try to use samba I get no response from ozzy. Here
> is what is happening for mc
>
> I think that such behavior is clearly wrong. But it's a long term
> issue. So maybe I'm wrong and this is a correct behavior?

The daemons are doing reverse DNS lookups on the IP addresses and not
getting any answers.

You can either tweak that in the resolv.conf file so it doesn't take
so long to give up (see the man page for options) or configure your
services to ignore it.

For sshd you just need to uncomment the following line in sshd.conf:

#UseDns no

 But I don't see anything wrong with how things are happening in this situation.

--
Giovanni.