Fwd: Request to update ATi OSS driver for Fedora 12

Liang Suilong liangsuilong at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:56:59 UTC 2009

To Adam Williamson

I try to add kernel parameter nomodeset to turn off KMS. After logging in
Gnome and run gnome-terminal, I can scroll up and down my mouse so smoothly.
I do not feel scrolling in the terminal is slow.

Before doing that, I installed Fedora 12 Beta and upgrade to the latest
packages in VirtualBox 3.0.8. The situation is the same with the host which
is turned off KMS.

We can sure that KMS for R600 cause the problem. But KMS in the mainline
kernel is experimental. I believe that the bug will be fixed. Thanks to
Fedora developers, I can enjoy compiz with  opensource drivers.

Another things, xorg-x11-drv-ati with mesa-dri-drivers-experimental seems
not to ru gnome-shell. Does it mean that ATi opensource need more OpenGL
extensions to stand for gnome-shell?

Plymouth is so beautiful and smooth when I start up my Fedora 12,
nevertheless, it does not work when I shutdown or reboot my box. I just can
see a black screen or console status. How can I make plymouth run again?

ATi should learn Intel how to develop opensource drivers for their graphic
card. The relationship between ati and radeonhd should be cooperation not
competition. This is just my opinon.

--
<url>http://www.liangsuilong.info</url>
Fight for freedom!!!!(3F)