the mass rebuild and i586 rpms?

Quentin Armitage Quentin at Armitage.org.uk
Thu Oct 22 17:29:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 20:20 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I thought with the mass rebuild the i586 rpms were suppose to be gone
> but it seems the F-12 repository still has quite a few of them. Are
> the old packages that should have been blocked, ones that's that
> weren't rebuilt for some reason or something that I've just missed?
>
> Peter

I did some work a week or two ago to see what was behind some of the
packages a couple of weeks ago, and it is summarised below. Not only is
there an issue with the i586 packages, but also a number of noarch
packages.

Point 5 below categories the apparent reason for the packages not having
been rebuilt, and it appears possible that out of the 185 packages that
have not been rebuilt, 95 might build successfully if just submitted for
rebuilding.

I was looking at the need-rebuild.py script, and have a few
comments/questions (apologies if my terminology is incorrect - this area
is new to me).

1. Is the script that is run and produces the output at
http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/needed-f12-rebuilds.html actually the
script referred to at the bottom of that page
(https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/browser/scripts) ? The reason I ask is
that when I run the script, I get

Included Koji instances:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/kojihub
http://sparc.koji.fedoraproject.org/kojihub
http://s390.koji.fedoraproject.org/kojihub
http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/kojihub

whereas the posted output only has
Included Koji instances:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/kojihub
http://sparc.koji.fedoraproject.org/kojihub

2. If the script is run against just koji.fedoraproject,org/kojihub
(i.e. without the sub arches), it says 185 packages need
rebuilding (instead of the 175 listed in the report); the following
10 packages are omitted when the sparc koji hub is also included:
gmpc
HippoDraw
itcl
latex2rtf
prtconf
PyKDE
python-igraph
silo
spicebird
xorg-x11-drv-sunffb

This is caused by line 117 of the script:
        unbuilt = unbuilt & unbuiltnew
so if a package needs to be rebuilt on the primary arch, but not on the
(in this case sparc) secondary arch, then it is dropped from needing to
be rebuilt (it appears that a package will only be listed if it needs
to be rebuild on every arch). There are several circumstances where this
can happen (with the 10 missing packages listed):

Built on sub arch but failed on primary arch
gmpc - 0.18.0-1 build on sparc after epoch but 0.18.0-2 failed on koji
HippoDraw
itcl
latex2rtf
python-igraph

Not a primary arch package (should the package be blocked in the primary
arch kojihub?)
==========================
prtconf
silo
xorg-x11-drv-sunffb

Blocked on secondary arch (so not included in unbuiltnew)
=========================
spicebird

Built on sub arch but not submitted for rebuild on primary arch
PyKDE

Package does not exist in secondary arch (no example)

Would it be more relevant to list what needs to be rebuild separately
for each arch (but see point 3 below)?

3. So far as I can see, there have not been mass rebuilds on the
secondary arches, so is it relevant to search them for successful builds
since the epoch? If it is relevant, they would appear to have different
epochs in any case.

4. On the sparc (and other sub arches) kojihubs, there can be builds
without a task, but the build itself can have a tag dist-f12 (see
http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=19567 for
example). Can that tag be safely used for checking if the build had a
particular tag, rather than having to look at a task? Currrently the
script can call getTaskInfo with a taskID of None, which is the cause of
getTaskInfo returning a request with len > 1, since that response is an
error message for requesting TaskInfo with a task id of None.

5. I have looked at the 185 packages that have not been rebuilt, and the
reasons fall into the following categories (details for each package are
listed later):
1. Not submitted for rebuild (65)
2. Mock exited with status 10 (7)
3. Mock exited with status 30 (23)
4. No build on dist-12/dist-f12-rebuild/dist-f12-updates-candidate (6)
5. Build cancelled (1)
6. Mock exited with status 1 (83)

I'm wondering if (re)submitting the packages in categories 1, 3, 4 and 5
might result in the majority being successfully built, possibly halving
the number of packages that would then still need to be rebuilt.

I have made some changes to need-rebuild.py to produce some of the
information above, and am happy to provide them if they are of any
interest.

Not submitted for rebuild (65)
==============================
OpenEXR_CTL
OpenEXR_Viewers
PerceptualDiff
Perlbal
Pixie
Pound
PyAmanith
PyKDE
PyQuante
PySBIG
PySolFC
PySolFC-cardsets
aboot
ccss
django-typepad
eclipse-setools
education-bookmarks
elilo
eqntott
fonts-hebrew-fancy
gdata-sharp
gnome-globalmenu
icoutils
libgtk-java
libica
libnetdevname
luci
netplug
olpc-kbdshim
openssl-ibmca
perl-Perl-Critic
perl-Tk-ProgressBar-Mac
piggyback
prctl
prtconf
pyhton-utmp
python-decorator3
python-psyco
python-typepad
python-utmp
rubygem-extlib
rubygem-mixlib-cli
rubygem-mixlib-config
rubygem-mixlib-log
rubygem-systemu
sblim-cim-client2
silo
snake
ssmtp
tomcatjss
trac-tickettemplate-plugin
unetbootin
vanessa_logger
volpack
x11vnc
xorg-x11-drv-sunbw2
xorg-x11-drv-suncg14
xorg-x11-drv-suncg3
xorg-x11-drv-suncg6
xorg-x11-drv-sunffb
xorg-x11-drv-sunleo
xorg-x11-drv-suntcx
yum-plugin-download-order
zikula-module-filterutil
zikula-module-pagemaster

Mock exited with status 10 (7)
==============================
HippoDraw
geronimo-specs
perl-POE-Component-Client-HTTP
perl-POE-Component-Server-SOAP
perl-POE-Component-Server-SimpleHTTP
python-tg-devtools
vanessa_adt

Mock exited with status 30 (23)
===============================
gcompris
gdesklets
gds2pov
gedit-plugins
gg2
giggle
gl-117
glabels
glade2
glglobe
glitz
gliv
glob2
gnome-applet-bubblemon
gnome-applet-grandr
klibido
ladspa-swh-plugins
libbtctl
libcapseo
petitboot
pfqueue
pfscalibration
pfstools

No build on dist-12/dist-f12-rebuild/dist-f12-updates-candidate (6)
TurboGears2
fife
mathgl
pysvn           (this hasbeen built with tag dist-f12-openssl)
python-catwalk
sblim-cmpi-dhcp

Build cancelled (1)
===================
python-polybori

Mock exited with status 1 (83)
==============================
389-dsgw
Io-language
Macaulay2
ScientificPython
WritRecogn
almanah
artwiz-aleczapka-fonts
asylum
awn-extras-applets
baekmuk-bdf-fonts
chktex
compat-db
eris
evolution-brutus
geda-gattrib
gengetopt
gmfsk
gmp-ecm
gmpc
gmrun
gnome-scan
gnubversion
gpxviewer
gromacs
iksemel
inadyn-mt
irda-utils
itcl
k3d
knm_new-fonts
latex2rtf
libFoundation
libfakekey
libgnomedb
libpreludedb
matchbox-keyboard
mikmod
mod_dnssd
nickle
octaviz
ohm
pari
perl-AnyEvent-XMPP
perl-Apache2-SOAP
perl-Class-InsideOut
perl-DBIx-Simple
perl-Jemplate
perl-MooseX-Daemonize
perl-MooseX-GlobRef-Object
perl-MooseX-POE
perl-MooseX-Traits-Attribute-CascadeClear
perl-RRD-Simple
perl-SVN-Mirror
perl-SVN-Simple
perl-Test-WWW-Mechanize-Catalyst