The future of "rawhide" (was [Fwd: Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"])

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 17:55:09 UTC 2009

> Hi all.  It has been brought to my attention that my description of my
> future vision of rawhide as explained here is much clearer than previous
> attempts (including the current "no frozen rawhide" wiki page).  So I
> felt it prudent to forward it along to the devel list for more eyes to
> look upon it and comment if desired.
>
> Thanks!

So to make this a reality, we need to ensure that whatever is in rawhide
has a *>=* ENVR than anything in the other trees.  So I assume that when
submitting a bodhi update, bodhi would check rawhide and ensure that
whatever you were about to submit to 13-pending was <= whatever was in
rawhide.  Otherwise we'd get into a great big mess of not being able to
update to rawhide packages because whatever was in 13-pending was
'newer' than rawhide.  Right?

We should have this anyway just to help upgradability between distros;
bodhi should not allow a package to be added to an update if it's a
"newer" ENVR than that same package in any of the "newer" distros.

Dan