The future of "rawhide" (was [Fwd: Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"])

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 21:20:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 14:47 -0600, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:50:54 -0700, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all.  It has been brought to my attention that my description of my
> > future vision of rawhide as explained here is much clearer than previous
> > attempts (including the current "no frozen rawhide" wiki page). []
>
> Actually, the "no frozen rawhide" was very clear and this message
> just boggles the mind.
>
> > What does this accomplish?  It provides a very easy release valve.
> > Instead of closing the valve and building up pressure while we freeze,
> > and tempting people to push things into our pending release that really
> > don't belong, we'll provide them a normal, never ending release of
> > pressure, called rawhide. []
>
> Great, you made life of lazy developers easy. What about users of
> Rawhide? I had Rawide installed on my main desktop since RHL 6.
> What am I supposed to do now? What tree to run? Your proposal
> has no guidelines for me (unlike the proposal to stop freezing
> Rawhide, which IMHO had a lot of merit).
>
> Note, I'm not interested in testing things "sometimes". If I did,
> I would've been using RHEL WS or something. I want an always-useable
> development tip tree.
>
> The problem here is that Rawhide was a useful distribution for years.
> We were Gentoo before Gentoo, minus meaningless recompiles. And now?
>
> -- Pete

I wonder where your confusion comes from.  With this rewording of the
proposal, the proposal doesn't change.  Rawhide the path on the mirror
(pub/fedora/linux/releases/development/) never freezes, never stops.
It's always developmental and testing packages.  It is always there.  It
never freezes.  You can turn on that repo and just run with it from now
until you decide you don't want to use computers anymore.

The proposal, both wordings, say that we'll stop slowing down rawhide,
stop trying to use that path as a testing/polish point for a release.
We'll do that somewhere else and let rawhide keep flowing.

So you can continue to run rawhide all you want.  Your entry point to
rawhide may change slightly, you may have to start with the current
Fedora release or the current testing release for the next Fedora, and
then upgrade to the rawhide package set, but once you've done that you
just stick on rawhide and never look back.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!