Fedora with Universal Binaries?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Oct 22 21:42:10 UTC 2009

Pete Zaitcev writes:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:28:36 -0500, King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just saw this article about an effort to create Universal binary style ELF
>> binaries for Linux, and I thought that this would be something to watch, so
>> that Fedora could integrate both x86-32 and x86-64 into single DVD sets.
>
> Sounds like a kludge to work around limitations of dpkg.

Not really. Something like this would allow you to have a single boot image
for both 32 and 64 bit hosts.

32 bits will be here for a long, long time, of course, but its days are
numbered, so I don't think it makes practical sense to invest the effort in
implementing "FAT" ELF format. There might be some practical benefit if its
scope was expanded to support arbitrary binary ABIs, i.e. a single ELF image
containing x86_64 and sparc64, perhaps.