The future of "rawhide" (was [Fwd: Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"])

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Oct 23 06:22:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 14:18:23 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Two, it makes testing things a bit more complex. Those of us who like to
> test upcoming stuff in real use - i.e. on our main machines - will have
> to choose whether to test "rawhide", in which case we'll have more pain
> to deal with ourselves and won't be contributing as much to testing of
> the next stable release, or test the next stable release, in which case
> we aren't helping maintainers by making sure the stuff they're putting
> in "rawhide" isn't totally broken.

The impression I got (which might be wrong), is that it was expected that
people would test specific packages from rawhide and not be expected to
be running it all at once. Porbably the best equvialent to current rawhide
would be enabling updates-testing for the pending release. People that
needed some that wouldn't break unexpectedly, but still wanted to try out
the new stuff could run the pending release without updates-testing.