Looking into LLVM

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Mon Oct 26 15:11:48 UTC 2009

On 10/26/2009 10:45 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 19:07 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the dominating factor in
>>> our performance is the code itself.
>>
>> I meant performance, primarily in terms of speed of compilation. Not the
>> code itself.
>
> Suppose it's faster.  Say even by a factor of 100.  So what?  What
> problem would that solve?

Personally I don't that compile speed is as interesting as new bugs the
compiler is able to highlight, either through the compilation process or
through the use of LLVM as a static analyzer.

But LLVM/clang is quite far away from building Fedora, so I do not think
there's a need for people to get anxious.

I worked for a couple weeks on fixing LLVM, clang and Linux kernel bugs
so that the kernel would build under clang.

	Jeff